Sunday, February 4, 2007

chigai!

This week, while I was skimming the romanized translation of the textbook, I saw the word "chigai," and that it meant "you're wrong." We also learnt it in class the next day. As I mentioned in my last posting, I'm a fan of anime, especially the ones with psychological or philosophical themes. Most of the time, there's a scene, usually around the climax, where the main character will be confronted with someone who reveals secrets about him/her that he/she would rather not admit. That's where the word "chigai" also comes up, usually despserately screamed by the unfortunate character. I had an idea of what the word meant from the english subtitles, but it's still interesting to learn the real meanings of words I've heard before (especially words that seem to have such dramatic implications!) Yes, I know I'm a geek...at least, I'm having fun! :-)

3 comments:

satoza said...

ちがい is a noun. ちがいます is a verb. (In English, wrong or different is an adjective.)ちがう(not ちがい) is a casual form of the verb.

What anime do you like?

Agu said...

neon genesis evangelion ga suki desu. cowboy bebop to trigun mo suki desu.

um...as for movies, akira ga suki desu.

can you say: "watashi no sukina anime wa evangelion desu"?

Anonymous said...

hai! 'watashi no sukina anime wa evangelion desu' will mean 'my favourite anime is evangelion' ganbatte kudasai jeremy! (I made a slip up with mixing up chigai and chigau earlier so I was looking it up and cam across this heheh.)